Monday, October 18, 2004

Apnea monday

I decided to try the "traditional" apnea today, also to check on my shape, but mainly because I'm getting very tired of the co2 training. I did my normal warmup, but I had some stomach problems so I had to keep interrupting it to go to the can (yes, I know...), so it ended up being longer warmup that I intended. After the max try, I decided to try a test that E Fattah suggested in deeper blue. After about a minute of contractions, try to make a controlled exhale making sure you only use your diaphgram to control it, lasting 10-15 seconds. As he predicted, I could not. I tried 2 times and on the second, I managed to kind of control it, but it was not very even and lasted only 5 sec max. I did notice a curious thing though. On the second try, before hitting the target time I "dry practiced" it, trying to imagine how I would do the exhale without actually letting any air out. Immediately my contractions changed. They became much more frequent, almost like synched by my pulse, but very very shallow. Almost negliable. I'll have to experiment with that feeling and see if it has some potential in a normal hold...Finally I did one empty lung for kicks, and surprisingly enough, hit my pb!

Here's the data:
1:00 empty lung
1:15 empty lung
0:50 empty lung
2:20 frc
2:30 frc
5:15 (20 packs, 30 contractions, 1st 4:15, controlled exhale)
5:50 (25 packs, 30 contractions, 1st 4:15)
6:30 (20 packs, 30 contractions, 1st 4:45)
5:15, controlled exhale
2:40 empty lung (pb!)

Well a hard day's static wouldn't be anything without a nice apnea jogging session, so I did 12 km. The first minutes I did apnea walks. FRC 0:40 and 0:50 and full inhale 2:00 and 2:20. For the first 5 km I did apnea stuff. First about 10x empty lung jogging (each 10-20 sec). Reaching 20 sec seems really hard and I nearly blacked out. Then 10*FRC in the range of 20-30 sec and to finish it up about 10 full inhale ones. I managed to beat my last full inhale pb, running some 3.5 lamp posts or 55 seconds.

Now some stretching, food and maybe some quality time with my special person ;)

I've decided to stop logging my diet untill it changes drastically. Right now it's pretty much the same every day. I try to make sure I get enough antioxidants (at least plenty of c and e, some multivitamins, fruit and vegetables), iron and omega-3 acids. I should really look into this though...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home