Thursday, December 02, 2004

Break

I've decided to have a break from all apnea activities at least for the rest of the week. With the competition and all, I've done breathholds pretty much every day for a couple of weeks now, and after doing a very stupid experiment on tuesday (of which I will give no details so no one else tries it) I've been feeling a bit "not right". I need to re-concider the amount of apnea training I do in the future. 1 wet static + 1-2 dry per week should be very well enough.

I also had a bad experience at the pool yesterday. I had already decided I wont do any hard apnea, but I ended up diving anyway. I guess my eye got sucked by the low pressure in the goggles, but it got all bloody red and swollen. I was already pissed off so I just left. With this, the stomach problems, some kind of flu hitting me and other stuff, I figure I better give the body some time to recover. After all, I've only got one of 'em...No spare :) It's supposed to be fun after all. No point in forcing it...

4 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O'Boy

Hey,
I think you've made a right decission. Interestingly, my friend who'd left freediving some year ago, wrote me yesterday that he improved his static from 5'45" to 6'19" last weekend. After 1 year without training!
BTW, don't you think that it would be better for us all to know about your 'stupid experiment'. What if I am about to go throuh the same one tomorrow? Just because you didn't tell me...:))

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger jome said...

Well the real reason is that it's just so damn embarassing :)

Well ok. I figured a good way to train co2 tolerance would be to breath into a plastic bag. I did this a bit too long I think and I felt really sick afterwards. I'm quite convinced that had I continued a bit longer, I might have been in serious trouble.

Needless to say I won't be doing that again ;)

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O'Boy
Hey,

Theoreticaly, there should be nothing wrong with that kind of exercise. With breathing into plastic bag you were actually performing apnea, with somewhat larger lung volume (lungs+bag) = decreased alveolar PO2 = hypoxia. As if you were doing exhaling into closed mouth and inhaling back.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger jome said...

Well, that was the theory. Because the bag was leaking a bit, it was allowing small amounts of air to exchange, so my idea was that this allowed me to keep my co2 level very elevated for a very long time. And it did, I did the experiment for over 12 minutes.

I wasn't too worried about the hypoxia, I know the symptoms of that. What I'm afraid of in such case is closing in on acidosis and judging from the symptoms it might have been close.

I'm not a doctor, but just a thought...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home