Sunday, November 13, 2005

Pipe mask

Today we had a luxurious 2 hours a the pool, so I did some static first. With the 1.5mm suit, which is not really optimum for static, I managed 6:45 which was ok. I then proceeded to dynamic hoping that the static would serve as good warmup. Well, not really. I did make a new pb of 2:33, beating the old one I guess by a whole second again, but it didn't feel any better than without a static first. In fact worse...

I then did a few dives with stereofins. 100m in something like 2:20, then 85m in 1:30 or something irrelevant.

I build a pipemask yesterday. I've been meaning to make one for ages, but just haven't had the time. It worked better than I expected. My biggest worry has always been that if the pipe slips out of my mouth, the mask will flood with water. But in fact, this one does not. The whole for the tube is located near my forehead, so if I dive down without even placing the tube in my mouth, as the mask squeezes against my head, it seals the hole! Pretty cool accidental design flaw :) So I can use it just like normal goggles in the pool. Don't even have to put the tube in my mouth. But if I want to equalize it, it's easy using the tube. Too bad I can't take it for real testing in deep water, because it's so damn cold...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home